Agenda and minutes
Venue: Council Chamber, Town Hall, Upper Street, N1 2UD. View directions
Contact: Ola Adeoye 0207 527 3044
Councillor Klute welcomed everyone to the meeting. Members of the Committee and officers introduced themselves.
Apologies for Absence
Apologies were received from Councillor McHugh.
Declarations of Substitute Members
There were no declarations of substitute members.
Declarations of Interest
If you have a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest* in an item of business:
§ if it is not yet on the council’s register, you must declare both the existence and details of it at the start of the meeting or when it becomes apparent;
§ you may choose to declare a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest that is already in the register in the interests of openness and transparency.
In both the above cases, you must leave the room without participating in discussion of the item.
If you have a personal interest in an item of business and you intend to speak or vote on the item you must declare both the existence and details of it at the start of the meeting or when it becomes apparent but you may participate in the discussion and vote on the item.
*(a) Employment, etc - Any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.
(b) Sponsorship - Any payment or other financial benefit in respect of your expenses in carrying out duties as a member, or of your election; including from a trade union.
(c) Contracts - Any current contract for goods, services or works, between you or your partner (or a body in which one of you has a beneficial interest) and the council.
(d) Land - Any beneficial interest in land which is within the council’s area.
(e) Licences- Any licence to occupy land in the council’s area for a month or longer.
(f) Corporate tenancies - Any tenancy between the council and a body in which you or your partner have a beneficial interest.
(g) Securities - Any beneficial interest in securities of a body which has a place of business or land in the council’s area, if the total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body or of any one class of its issued share capital.
This applies to all members present at the meeting.
There were no declarations of interest.
The order of business would be as per the agenda.
That the minutes of the meeting held on 12 October 2023 be confirmed as an accurate record of proceedings and the Chair be authorised to sign them.
The demolition of the existing building and redevelopment of the site to provide a five storey building plus basement and set-back roof-level plant, involving light industrial floorspace (Use Class E(g)(iii)) at ground and first floor levels and flexible Lab / R&D / light industrial space (Use Class E(g)(ii-iii)) on the upper levels along with waste storage, cycle parking, associated plant room, landscaping / public realm and other associated works.
(Planning application number: P2023/1719/FUL)
In the discussion the following points were made:
· Planning Officer informed the meeting of additional conditions to consider if planning permission is granted, that in the interest of providing functional and useable industrial floorspace condition 36 to read ‘that notwithstanding the plans hereby approved, a ground floor plan and corresponding front elevation, showing a wider and more generous entrance to the ground floor industrial floorspace, shall be submitted and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority prior to superstructure works commencing.
· Also in the interest of providing suitable floorspace to a variety of businesses of different type and sizes, condition 37 to read ‘that notwithstanding the plans approved, updated floor plans showing a layout suitable for a range of occupiers shall be submitted and approved in writing to the Local Planning Authority prior to practical completion of the development hereby approved.
· Committee to note that within the Head of Terms, the £11,669 towards employment and training quoted in Appendix 1 is correct and should be revised accordingly in paragraph 10.209 where it was misquoted and that the carbon offset contribution (Appendix 1 – Recommendation A) should be revised accordingly in the event of the carbon emissions being improved upon in line with conditions 28.
· Site is located on the south side of Brandon Road within the Vale Royal/ Brewery Road Locally Significant Industrial Site (LSIS), which comprises predominantly light industrial and warehouse / storage uses interspersed with commercial and cultural uses, mainly focused around Tileyard Studios.
· In land use terms, the proposal is considered to meet the aspirations of adopted Local Plan Policies, in particular Policies SP3, B2, B3, B4 and B5 as well as London Plan Policies GG5, E1, E6 and E7, which support the protection and intensification of the industrial area as outlined in the main body of the report.
· The proposal is set back from the street, leaving a more generous pavement edge and a landscaped area to the front of the building as well as a delivery and servicing bay and accessible parking bay. The main entrance leads to a reception area at ground floor level providing access to the main stair / lift core, bathroom and toilet facilities and 601sqm (NIA) of light industrial floorspace. There is also a proposed secondary entrance on the eastern boundary (or on the left when looking at the property), which leads to a secondary staircase and goods lift with access to the upper floors ... view the full minutes text for item 90.