Skip to content

Agenda and minutes

Venue: Council Chamber, Town Hall, Upper Street, N1 2UD. View directions

Contact: Email:  020 7527 3486


No. Item


Apologies for Absence

Additional documents:


Apologies were received from Councillor Spall.


Declaration of Substitute Members

Additional documents:


There were no declarations of substitute members.


Declarations of Interests

If you have a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest* in an item of business:

§  if it is not yet on the council’s register, you must declare both the existence and details of it at the start of the meeting or when it becomes apparent;

§  you may choose to declare a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest that is already in the register in the interests of openness and transparency. 

In both the above cases, you must leave the room without participating in discussion of the item.


If you have a personal interest in an item of business and you intend to speak or vote on the item you must declare both the existence and details of it at the start of the meeting or when it becomes apparent but you may participate in the discussion and vote on the item.


*(a)   Employment, etc - Any employment, office, trade, profession or vocation carried on for profit or gain.

(b) Sponsorship - Any payment or other financial benefit in respect of your expenses in carrying out duties as a member, or of your election; including from a trade union.

(c) Contracts - Any current contract for goods, services or works, between you or your partner (or a body in which one of you has a beneficial interest) and the council.

(d) Land - Any beneficial interest in land which is within the council’s area.

(e) Licences- Any licence to occupy land in the council’s area for a month or longer.

(f) Corporate tenancies - Any tenancy between the council and a body in which you or your partner have a beneficial interest.

 (g) Securities - Any beneficial interest in securities of a body which has a place of business or land in the council’s area, if the total nominal value of the securities exceeds £25,000 or one hundredth of the total issued share capital of that body or of any one class of its issued share capital. 


This applies to all members present at the meeting.



Additional documents:


There were no declarations of interest.


Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 352 KB

Additional documents:


Meeting was advised that the Housing Allocation Scheme will now be scheduled for the Committee meeting in February 2023 following its  consideration at the Executive meeting in January 2023.



That the minutes of the meeting held on 20 September 2023 be confirmed as an accurate record of proceedings and the Chair be authorised to sign them subject to the amended date when the allocation scheme report is to be considered by the committee.


Chair's Report

Additional documents:


The Chair informed the meeting that Cllr O’Halloran Executive Member for Housing and Communities will be providing an update to Committee on the Council’s response to Damp and Mould concerns within its Council’s housing stock.


Meeting was advised that although item is not scheduled for consideration at this meeting, it has been accepted as an urgent item 


External Attendees (if any)

Additional documents:




Order of Business

Additional documents:


The Chair agreed to alter the order of business, that the urgent item from the Executive Member will be taken after item B1.

Members were informed that some of the items is to be deferred to the next meeting.


Public Questions

For members of the public to ask questions relating to any subject on the meeting agenda under Procedure Rule 70.5. Alternatively, the Chair may opt to accept questions from the public during the discussion on each agenda item.


Additional documents:




External Attendees (if any)

Additional documents:




Main Scrutiny Review: Strategic Review of Overcrowding in Islington - Peabody Housing Association and Islington New Build Team pdf icon PDF 396 KB

Additional documents:


Committee received a presentation from Tracy Packer, Managing Director for North East London, Peabody Housing Association on its management of overcrowding issues. The following points were highlighted:


·       Peabody has 5500 homes across the borough with the majority being let at social rent, that currently 382 Peabody households in Islington have applied to move because of overcrowding and this would include households who have a need to move for other reasons such as medical/health needs, welfare and those fleeing domestic violence.

·       Peabody provides support to residents throughout the move process however, the number of empty homes available is limited and the wait can be lengthy.

·       In the year 2021/22 only 14 x larger homes became available in the borough (3/4 bed)

·       Meeting was advised that the number of lettings completed is driven by the availability of homes, that Peabody completed 115 lettings in 2021/22, however majority of these lettings were for 1 and 2 bed homes and that empty homes are let through working in partnership with LBI via nomination's agreement.

·       LBI receive 100% nomination rights of all 1st lets (new homes),50% of studio/1bedroom relets and 75% of 2 bedroom or larger relets and that Peabody residents who have requested a move are considered when a relet becomes available and a priority move list for those in most need.

·       Move applicants are assessed based on need and are prioritised, that those overcrowded by 2 or more bedrooms are in the B4 priority band, those in an under-occupying household who wish to move are given a C1 priority band enabling Peabody’s larger homes to be allocated to more suitably sized households. ?

·       Presently of the current households requesting to move because of overcrowding, 32% are in the B4 priority band needing 2 or more further bedrooms with 68% in need of 1 further bedroom.?

·       Peabody offers a number of solutions and mitigations to address overcrowding for households requesting a move, whether in a priority band or not, and are supported through the bidding process however where there is long waiting times further support is provided.   ?

·       Peabody promotes mutual exchange for its tenants, provide advice and guidance on the opportunities that a mutual exchange can bring and make it easier to engage with the process. This includes providing information in multiple languages. ?

·       1-2-1 advice sessions is also available where in-house experts in rehousing offer support in finding alternative accommodation through other tenures such as shared ownership, market rent and potential moves to areas with lower housing demand. Members were reminded that this option is customer led and possible options will depend on customer requirements. ?

·       Home visits to residents is undertaken and provides support such as offering possible space saving furniture to alleviate some shared sleeping arrangements. Also in light of the ongoing living costs concerns Peabody officers offer advice to help manage energy costs and other costs of living. ?

·       Peabody takes a broad view on other actions to help alleviate overcrowding, by offering incentives such as financial incentives in the form of providing  ...  view the full minutes text for item 22.


Private Rented Sector - 12 month report back pdf icon PDF 116 KB

Additional documents:


Islington Director Housing Needs and Strategy informed the meeting that the report before the committee is an appraisal of the state of play in the private rented sector, that report has been produced in conjunction with other colleagues in other departments of the council


·       On the question of the role of register of private landlords, meeting was advised that committee will receive an update in February 2023 on what has been done.

·       With regards to concerns raised by Shelter that only 1 out of 12 young people in private sector who get evicted receive detailed information on their rights and what to do, meeting was advised that council will be doing some work on the website regarding private renters after the public consultation exercise has been completed as it is important for young people and other stakeholders to know their rights.

·       On the issue of HMO licensing and whether Islington Council charges less than neighbouring councils Hackney and Camden and if Council has any plans to review the charges, meeting was advised that comparison data of neighbouring boroughs will be made available to members.

That the report be noted



Private Rented Sector Housing Charter pdf icon PDF 121 KB

Additional documents:


The Director Housing Needs and Strategy informed the meeting that draft document has been discussed across the council and it goes out for public  consultation for a period of 8 weeks from January 2023, to be adopted by Council after taking on board comments from all the different stakeholders.

·       Meeting was advised that there is significant time and opportunities for any amendments to the draft charter and that it has been published on the council website.

·       A representative of the Islington London Rental Union (LRU) informed the meeting that having spoken to council officers about the draft charter, the LRU noted that most of their views had been taken on board in the draft document, however noting some distinctions.

·       LRU’s view is that the tone of the draft charter was a bit pessimistic, for example where LRU request the need to ensure the provision of social housing in new developments, the charter talks about promoting social housing.

·       Also LRU’s request to publish targets on how council deal with landlords was not evident, the charter only mentions data when it should be about enforcement of existing housing standards. There is also concern that charter makes reference to providing safer and decent accommodation, which is a minimum requirement, when more could be done.

·       LRU are of the view that the charter needs to be bolder, disappointing that there is no reference to retro fitting, increasing the standard management of energy efficiency and concerns about the removal of the wording in relation to landlord illegal eviction.

·       The charter should be an opportunity to shape landlord behaviour through council action, to ensure that Islington is a borough which welcomes renters and not one that preserves landlord behaviour.

·       It was also stated that the Charter should provide more clarity on working with tenant resident organisation and disappointing not to see this forum acknowledged in the draft charter, that this omission in the draft charter is not sufficient in response to the crisis that private renters face.

That the Draft Charter be noted and welcome suggestions during its public consultation.



Tenant Satisfaction Measures Government Consultation pdf icon PDF 206 KB

Additional documents:



The Director Housing Needs and Strategy advised the meeting that a further update will be provided at a future meeting as recent information from the Housing Regulator regarding damp and mould is not reflected in the report before committee.

In addition to the above, Officer advised that the report will be recommending that this measure be included as part of the quarterly performance report.


Item was deferred to the next meeting.


Islington Broadband pdf icon PDF 112 KB

Additional documents:


Item was deferred to the next meeting


Urgent Item - Damp and Mould in Islington Council Housing

Additional documents:


Councillor Una O’Halloran, Executive Member for Homes and Communities highlighted the following actions which Council proposes to carry out in addressing the issues of Damp and Mould within its housing stock.


·       Council will recontact all tenants who had previously requested a damp and mould survey in the last two years, and works will be prioritised based on number of the reports, vulnerabilities and complaints. Additional resources will be brought in to carry out home visit where this has been an issue.

·       All reported complaints over the last 2 years, including members enquiries and resident reported cases of condensation, damp and mould will be reviewed, identifying what additional interventions could be made to address and resolve the issue and this may include additional works such as new ventilation or insulation.

·       Members were advised that presently the council has already conducted work to reduce the likelihood of damp and on the most effected estates and further investment is ongoing, that the Council will continue to use repairs data to source estates that need investment to reduce the chance of damp and mould.

·       Council is working with health partners to overlay information about families with health conditions that may require repairs to go even further in those houses to prevent damp and condensation

·       In addition to the above, the repair service is investigating the  greater use of remote loggers to help diagnose the cause of damp in properties.

·       The Council will be setting up a dedicated phone line and email contact for residents concerned about damp and mould which will offer advice, the ability to report concerns and book a surveyors visit.

·       Meeting was advised that a weekly panel will be set up to review cases of repeat reports of damp and mould with a view to sending senior surveyors and or increasing the levels of work or moving the family into temporary accommodation while work is being carried out.

·       Council is working with local housing associations, encouraging them to take a similar proactive approach.

·       The Council is working with University College London and Building Expert Mike Parrett to ensure that the best investigative techniques are employed and also in designing an affordable retrofit package for the worst cases.

·       In terms of investment, the Executive Member noted that given the councils varied stock, some properties have a higher chance of getting damp and mould than others however the Council will continue to invest capital funding to improve all of its housing stock.

·       On the issue of window and boiler replacements, the Council will ensure that capital works consider water supply pipes and wastes that may be past their serviceable life so as to prevent leaks.

·       Members were advised of dedicated programme to reduce damp and leaks at Girdlestone which has been completed and the pilot at the Andover Estate have been completed.

·       The Council is seeking grant funding to improve insulation and heating across its housing stock.

·       It was noted that repairs call waiting times have been too long for the last few  ...  view the full minutes text for item 27.


Work Programme 2022/23 pdf icon PDF 45 KB

Additional documents:


That the report be noted.