Voluntary and Community Sector Committee
Purpose of committee
The Voluntary and Community Sector Committee oversees the Council’s engagement with the Islington voluntary and community sector and ensures value for money and fairness in the allocation of council resources to the sector.
The committee is responsible for the allocation of the Islington Community Fund including determining the Council’s policy in relation to discretionary rate relief for charities and other non-profit making bodies. The committee:
- considers applications for discretionary rate relief from the Discretionary Rate Relief Fund;
- allocates the Voluntary and Community Sector (VCS) Grants Fund;
- allocates the Advice Fund;
- allocates the Local Initiatives Fund having regard to the recommendations of the relevant ward members/relevant ward partnership or neighbourhood group and on the basis that the funding will be allocated equally among the 16 wards making up the Council’s area;
- allocate the VCS Rescue Fund.
The committee also reviews and, if necessary, withdraws funding to organisations where there is a potential breach of conditions of grant aid and/or service level agreement.
The committee can consider the management, use and disposal of council owned buildings occupied by voluntary and community sector organisations and agree the disposal or leasing of council owned properties to voluntary sector and community bodies including, where relevant, the rent to be set.
committee also approves the annual budget proposed for the London
Councils Grants Committee.
If you have any questions please contact:
Room 107, Town Hall
Telephone: 020 7527 3044
- Councillor Kaya Comer-Schwartz (Chair)
- Councillor Una O'Halloran
- Councillor Roulin Khondoker
- Councillor Santiago Bell-Bradford
- Councillor Rowena Champion (Substitute)
- Councillor Michelline Safi-Ngongo (Substitute)
- Councillor Nurullah Turan (Substitute)
- Councillor Diarmaid Ward (Substitute)
- Councillor John Woolf (Substitute)
- Councillor Troy Gallagher (Observer)
- Councillor Jason Jackson (Observer)
- Councillor Phil Graham (Observer)
Support officer: Ola Adeoye. (020) 7527 6568