Playing Field, Armoury House, City Road, London, EC1
Erection of a marquee (temporary structure) on land adjacent to the playing fields of Armoury House (along with south boundary of the site) in order to facilitate hosting temporary social events. The marquee would be in situ for no more than 120 days per calendar year with both a winter and summer site layout plan included.
(Planning application number: P2016/1146/FUL)
In the discussion the following points were made:
· The planning officer stated that Condition 5 should be amended to require the list of event dates (where PA use was to be extended until 23:00hours) to be submitted to the Local Planning Authority prior to the start of each summer and winter period and no change therefrom would take place without the prior written consent of the Local Planning Authority.
· The acoustics officer informed the sub-committee that in 2005 an abatement notice had been issued and a noise management plan had been put in place. In 2010 the notice had been withdrawn. There had been 1 noise complaint in 2013, 7 in 2014 and none in 2015. There had been 11 between 8th and 23rd June this year and following these management took action and there had since been no further complaints.
· The licensing hours were discussed and members considered that in relation to music, the planning hours should reflect the licensing hours. The applicant stated that although the licence restricted music to end at 23:00 hours or 23:30 hours each night, there was a clause to allow 200 events to continue past this time each year.
· The applicant provided details of the hard wired compression noise limiter.
· Consideration was given to whether the number of events each year should be limited. The applicant raised concern and requested flexibility, preferring that the permission be reviewed at the end of two years.
· A member suggested that the condition restricting outdoor beverages after 22:00 hours should be strengthened to include no patrons after 22:00hours apart from in the smoking area, with the doors to the smoking area to be kept shut.
· The length of the temporary consent was considered.
· Members commended the Honourable Artillery Company for realising they did not have planning permission and applying for it.
Councillor Convery proposed a motion that Condition 4 be amended to prevent music from being played between 23:00 hours and 07:00 hours apart from where permitted by the premises licence. This was seconded by Councillor Klute and carried.
Councillor Klute proposed a motion that Condition 7 be amended to state that the outside area should be cleared of patrons after 22:00 hours with the exception of the smoking area, that there should be no consumption of beverages in any outside area after 22:00 hours and that the doors to the smoking area were to be kept shut after 22:00 hours. This was seconded by Councillor Convery and carried.
That temporary planning permission be granted for 24 months subject to the conditions and informatives set out in Appendix 1 of the officer report as amended above, the wording of which was delegated to officers.
- Armoury House Temporary Consent report, item 215. PDF 926 KB
- Map P2016-1146-FUL, Playing Fields, Armoury House, City Road, London, EC1, item 215. PDF 135 KB