Caledonian Park Clock Tower and Heritage Centre, Market Road, London, N7 9DY
Variation of condition 6 (hours of operation) of planning permission ref: P2016/0730/FUL, dated 23/05/2016 for the restoration of the grade II* listed clock tower and parts of the grade II* listed historic market railings and to provide a heritage centre in Caledonian Park.
The proposal included changes to the approved hours of operations for the Heritage Centre and Café.
(Planning application number: P2017/4433/S73)
In the discussion the following points were made:
· The planning officer stated that the words ‘and the clock tower’ should be removed from Conditions 6 and 7.
· A member queried maximum occupancy figures and the planning officer stated that these would be required to be submitted by the applicant to meet Condition 12.
· In response to members’ questions, the planning officer advised that the minimum closest distance between the building and closest residential property was 15m corner to corner; it was not intended that there be any amplified music and this was conditioned by Condition 12; and deliveries and parking had been conditioned in the original approval and would remain unchanged. The site management plan would require any potential anti-social behaviour to be monitored and managed by the staff present on site during the operation hours.
· In response to members’ questions, the applicant advised that the extended hours were being sought as the current hours would limit the use of the facilities by the community. The opening hours sought were more in line with the park’s opening hours. A member of staff would be present during any private bookings and alcohol was not allowed to be consumed. Natural surveillance of people using the facilities would reduce anti-social behaviour. In addition, there would be a full time officer on site who could respond to any anti-social behaviour issues. The maximum occupancy was approximately 35 people for the Heritage Centre and 27 people for the café. The current restriction meant that even the toilets could not be used before 10am at weekends and past 6pm in the summer when the park was open until 9pm.
· The planning officer confirmed that in the original proposal back in early 2018, the heritage centre was proposed to be opened for 13 hours longer each week in the summer than the current consented hours and 4 hours longer in winter; and the café would be open for 4 hours longer each week in the summer and 2 hours longer in the winter.
· Following a first consultation on opening hours, the applicant had reduced the proposed hours and a second consultation had been held.
· Some members considered that with the heritage centre and café not yet open, this was not the appropriate time to apply for extended hours.
· A member commented that it was sensible to have the hours of the heritage centre and café more in line with the park’s opening hours. It would provide more opportunities for community groups to use the facilities.
Following the use of the chair’s casting vote, the following decision was made.
That following consideration of the case officer’s report (the assessment and recommendations therein), the presentation to Committee, submitted representations and objections provided verbally at this meeting, planning permission be granted subject to the conditions and informatives set out in Appendix 1 of the officer report as amended above.
- Central Clock Tower S73 Committe report final, item 33. PDF 3 MB
- MAP P2017-4433-S73 Caledonian Park Clock Tower and Heritage Centre,Market Road, N7 9HF, item 33. PDF 195 KB